Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Cuddly Cacti

These fabulous new additions to my cactus collection do not have thorns, spines, glochids, trichomes, hooks, needles, or any other exterior unpleasantness. They are soft, squishy and perfectly huggable!


Outside on a visit with their spiny cousins
They are crocheted cactus made by the amazing Urban Rustic. Visit her blog here, but I warn you, after viewing the results of her talent and energy, you will end up with an uncontrollable urge to sew, knit, crochet, hook rugs, do quilting, photography, needlepoint, and have more cats, dogs, lush English gardens, and clever turn of phrase.

Completely crocheted, from the pots all the way to the flowers

Happily (for me), she developed a case of compulsive cactus-crocheting earlier this summer and ended up surrounded by them. I was thrilled to be the recipient of some of her incredible handiwork.

This is Cornelius, who resembles
Carnegiea gigantea, the saguaro cactus.


The saguaro Source




This is Stanley - his shape is similar to
Stenocereus thurberi, the organ pipe cactus.


The organ pipe cactus Source
 
So I now have miniature representatives of the two iconic cacti of the great and beautiful place that I live – the Sonoran Desert. And I can keep them inside, and I don’t have to worry about over- or underwatering them.

Thank you, lovely blog friend Urban Rustic, for the beautiful cacti!
 
 
 
Have you received an unexpected and/or hand-crafted gift recently?

Katrina

3 comments:

  1. You are very welcome...but after this glowing accolade you might be liable to a few more turning up on your doorstep!My daughter loved it that you could name actual species that Stanley and Cornelius most resembled!
    I can't quite believe that you live in an actual desert...so much different to the soggy mushy pulp that my rain sodden garden is!!
    Have you ever thought about adopting a deer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to set up a weather-exchange program. We're in the middle of a 15-year drought here, so would not mind sharing your rain. I think it's safe to say you want some of our excess sunshine?

      Delete
  2. These are adorable! Lucky you, Katrina. My daughter sometimes sends me homemade goodies - they're such a treat.

    ReplyDelete