Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Shorts, Finally

It seems like ages ago that I talked about making shorts, and I did finally get around to doing it. Of course, I didn’t just make a pair of rugged cargo shorts for gardening.

First I made soft, comfortable rayon shorts for lazy days around the house.

Then I made a couple pairs of seersucker shorts.
A bright green pair, from this pattern.

A more retro look in pastel stripes, from my straight-leg pants pattern.

  It has a matching top, as an homage to the playsuit trend that’s popular this summer.
Thank you for not mentioning that my carefully matched chevron pockets are pointing in opposite directions. Uh, I did that on purpose. Yeah.


McCalls 2060 from 1954. So cute! I love these little 40s – 50s rompers, but I think some of you might know what I mean when I say that one-piecers are not very convenient.


After I got all the frivolous shorts out of my system, I settled down to the serious business of making shorts for gardening. Photos of the finished product will have to wait for another day, but I can tell you the process involved a hammer, binder clips, and a Crop-a-Dile, among other heavy equipment.

Hard work, but that's okay, it helps postpone the moment I have to actually go outside into the heat and deal with the garden.

Katrina

3 comments:

  1. Prolific as ever!

    Loving the mock playsuit. My daughter bought a polka-dot playsuit on our recent shopping trip - Pete's reaction was to question the practical considerations! Your version is definitely better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shorts just right for all that wonderful heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I love the striped pastel ones! Now why can't I find a pair like that?????

    ReplyDelete