Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Next: Knits?

Thank you all so much for your comments and condolences. I'm afraid that as we grow older these events will beome more frequent. Our group plans to get together soon and raise a glass to the dear departed. Our friend gave us so many good laughs during her life that I'm sure we'll be able to muster up a few in her memory.

But today, I am back in the sewing room, attempting yet again to deal with the fabric hoard.

I have accumulated a lot of knit fabrics.
A LOT! Some have been waiting around for ten years or more, others are new.

There are cottons, silks, rayons, bamboo, metallic, acrylic, nylon, and polyester.

Jersey, sweater knit, stretch lace, stretch terry, double knit, ribbed knit, burnout, textured, pique, and an ITY or two.

Dots, stripes, plaids, geometrics, botanical, paisley, and nautical prints, along with solids in almost every color.

I need to start sewing some of these.
Knit tops and dresses are perfect for summer, since they're wrinkle-resistant.
We get to wear lots of cardigans here in the summer, as offices and restaurants are usually air-conditioned to freezing temperatures.
I’ve sewn knits in the past, but never come up with the exact combination of stitch, tension, needle, and thread, that would result in a nice-looking, functional seam. Usually my seams look sloppy from dropped stitches and loose thread, zigzag too wide or too narrow, or stretched fabric.

I’ve gotten a couple of ideas from other blogs, but this is another area where there seems to be TOO MUCH helpful advice on the internet. I will try using strips of interfacing on necklines, seams, and hems, since many people have had success with that. I might branch out and try some of the other stretch stitches on my machine.

What has been your experience with knits? (Wearing or sewing!)

Katrina

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous stash of fabrics - all so neatly stored too! I was just saying I must organise my boxes.

    Nothing for it - buy an overlocker/serger. Despite cursing mine on occassion I wouldn't be without it now - absolutely ideal for knit fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one experience I had with sewing knits was when a beautiful wine-colored jersey broke the auto threader on my machine. Personally, I'm totally afraid to sew knits - a common problem, I know - but I prefer wovens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be very afraid of sewing with jersey fabrics but they hold no fear for me now.
    I do have an overlocker but it is VERY temperamental so I have given up on it which is a pity as they have so much potential if you can actually get one to work.My mum used to work in a factory on an overlocker machine and she said they were very temperamental then too...so it is not just mine!
    My previous sewing machine just wpouldn't sew jersey fabrics but the one I use now quite suprisingly just loves to chomp through them.I find the best stitch to use when sewing items such as tops or dresses is the straight stitch set on a stretch setting.This makes a stitch that sort of goes forward for two stitches then backwards if you see what I mean.For lace on lingerie I just use an ordinary zig-zag.My machine does have an overlock foot but I find it is worse than useless and is not worth the effort.Always use a needle for jersey or stretch fabrics as this makes a big difference.I am glad that I persisted with my attempts at sewing with jersey as it has opened up whole new vistas of possibilities although I admit that I am lucky in that my machine does not mind them too much either.Have a go...especially when you have a massive stash of such beautiful fabrics that I am so envious of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be very afraid of sewing with jersey fabrics but they hold no fear for me now.
    I do have an overlocker but it is VERY temperamental so I have given up on it which is a pity as they have so much potential if you can actually get one to work.My mum used to work in a factory on an overlocker machine and she said they were very temperamental then too...so it is not just mine!
    My previous sewing machine just wpouldn't sew jersey fabrics but the one I use now quite suprisingly just loves to chomp through them.I find the best stitch to use when sewing items such as tops or dresses is the straight stitch set on a stretch setting.This makes a stitch that sort of goes forward for two stitches then backwards if you see what I mean.For lace on lingerie I just use an ordinary zig-zag.My machine does have an overlock foot but I find it is worse than useless and is not worth the effort.Always use a needle for jersey or stretch fabrics as this makes a big difference.I am glad that I persisted with my attempts at sewing with jersey as it has opened up whole new vistas of possibilities although I admit that I am lucky in that my machine does not mind them too much either.Have a go...especially when you have a massive stash of such beautiful fabrics that I am so envious of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry i don't know why that comment managed to get published twice...other than middle aged women with new laptops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning, I'd love to have these boxes full of fabrics, is so comfortable. Until I got my new sewing machine sewing experience knits had been a disaster. With this I found that with a special needle to knit and double leg drive's built, is a breeze. If you look at the whole I did to my daughter, the seams do not have a wrinkle, like a cotton cloth, here's the link
    http://cosircosersewing.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/falda-y-camiseta-de-punto.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous stash you have! I wish that mine looked that neat; you must have spent hours folding all of that fabric!

    I think that a serger is the way to go for knits. I did a lot of research before I bought mine, and ended up with the Brother 1034D. It has great reviews on Amazon, and several sewing bloggers rave about it as well. If you decide not to go that route, the proper needle and stitch on your machine will do the job; Emma One Sock has fabric sewing guides on her site that provide the necessary information for both that I refer to often. I have heard great things about Design Plus Fusible Stay Tape, so I purchased some, but haven't tried it yet.

    Good luck; I look forward to hearing what you decide to do!

    Also, I didn't forget about the Liebster Award! I took an unexpected blogging break, but will be posting about it soon; I need to choose the proper blogs that meet the criteria.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete